Monday, December 24, 2012

Celebrating Christmas

                  As Christmas has drawn steadily nearer, I have found myself, somewhat to my own surprise, honestly excited for the coming holiday.  My surprise stems from the fact that I have not identified as Christian for a couple years now, and with no traveling to do or small children to plan for, I fully expected that Christmas would pass more or less like any of the more minor holidays, save for the inescapable music.  Yet the closer the day in question, the more I have found myself anticipating it.  Never mind that I knew I would be working through the holiday, or that I would be unable to do much in the way of gift-giving - somehow the approach of Christmas filled me with a child-like joy I have not experienced since leaving home.
                  Earlier this month, I saw Rise of the Guardians in theaters.  While not a Christmas movie, it does have Santa Claus in a major supporting role.  In one of my favorite scenes, Santa explains that at his core, his purpose is to bring wonder into the world: Seeing the world with new eyes; giving a fresh look to the possibilities and magic contained in everything around us.  This, I think, is what I have been feeling since Thanksgiving: a renewed sense of wonder.  I still do not understand why, but frankly, I don't think it really matters.
                  Merry Christmas everyone.  Have a wonderful holiday, in every sense of the word.
Lots of Love,
~Jennifer

P.S.  If you haven't yet, I really encourage you to see Rise of the Guardians before it leaves theaters.  Here, have a trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment